MannKind to Present Two Posters at 22nd Annual Diabetes Technology Meeting
- Technosphere® Insulin (TI) peaked 30 minutes faster and significantly reduced postprandial glucose excursions (PPGE) at 60 minutes compared to subcutaneous insulins
- The Afrezza with Basal Combination (ABC) Study demonstrated similar glucose control between the three treatment groups; data to be presented and published in 2023
“We are excited to present initial findings from the Afrezza with Basal Combination (ABC) proof-of-concept study, which demonstrated significantly improved postprandial glucose excursions with TI compared to subcutaneous insulin during an in-office meal challenge,” said Dr.
- TI peaked 30 minutes faster and significantly reduced glucose at 60 minutes compared to subcutaneous insulins – including recently approved versions.
- The mean PPGE at 60 minutes for TI measured 57.9 mg/dL compared to 101.4 mg/dL for subcutaneous insulins – a reduction of 43.5 mg/dL.
- No severe hypoglycemia was observed in the TI groups using the higher dose conversion method described below.
“Providing inhaled insulin as a potential pump-sparing option is an intriguing finding from this pilot study,” said
Twenty-one adult randomized participants (≥ 18 years) with T1D and on AID therapy were analyzed at two clinical sites. The protocol specified administering an identical standardized meal to each subject who also received a mealtime dose of TI in combination with their AID. The TI dose was determined by multiplying the calculated RAA dose by two and rounding down to the nearest four-unit TI dose (capped at 24 units). Capillary blood glucose (SMBG) was measured by CONTOUR® meters (
Data showing the similar effects of the three treatment groups on glycemic control are being readied for publication and are planned to be presented at a diabetes conference in 2023.
We are committed to using our formulation capabilities and device engineering prowess to lessen the burden of diseases such as diabetes, pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) and nontuberculous mycobacterial (NTM) lung disease. Our signature technologies – dry-powder formulations and inhalation devices – offer rapid and convenient delivery of medicines to the deep lung where they can exert an effect locally or enter the systemic circulation.
With a passionate team of Mannitarians collaborating nationwide, we are on a mission to give people control of their health and the freedom to live life.
This press release contains forward-looking statements about the implications of clinical data that involve risks and uncertainties. Words such as “believes”, “anticipates”, “plans”, “expects”, “intends”, “will”, “goal”, “potential” and similar expressions are intended to identify forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements are based upon MannKind’s current expectations. Actual results and the timing of events could differ materially from those anticipated in such forward-looking statements as a result of various risks and uncertainties, which include, without limitation, the risk that continued testing of a drug product may not yield successful results or results that are consistent with earlier testing, and other risks detailed in MannKind’s filings with the
AFREZZA, TECHNOSPHERE and
MannKind: Christie Iacangelo, Corporate Communications (818) 292-3500 Email: email@example.com Rose Alinaya, Investor Relations (818) 661-5000 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org